Guinness Brownies with Sea Salt Caramel Cream Cheese Icing
I love any opportunity to think about all things Irish and cook with ingredients from the motherland! Guinness anyone??
Adding Guinness to chocolate cake or brownies creates a richer flavor. Something about combining dark beer with chocolate just works!
1 cup flour 1/4 cup cocoa powder 1/2 tsp kosher salt 4 eggs 1 cup brown sugar 1 cup granulated sugar 1 stick butter 1 cup chocolate chips 1/2 cup Guinness more chocolate chips to spread on the top.
8 oz cream cheese 1 stick butter 1/4 cup Ghirardelli Sea Salt Caramel Sauce about 1 lb powdered sugar a bit more kosher salt to taste if needed.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder and salt. Set aside.
3. Place butter and chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and melt together, stirring until somewhat combined.
4. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, butter and sugars until creamy. Add in the chocolate chip and butter mixture and combine.
5. Add in 1/3 of the dry ingredient mixture and beat on a low speed to combine. Add in half of the Guinness, beat just to combine. Add in another third of the dry ingredients…Repeat process until all ingredients are combined.
6. Transfer batter to a greased 9X13 baking dish and spread evenly. Add a handful of chocolate chips to the top of the brownie batter.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour…until a toothpick comes out clean.
8. For the icing, beat all ingredients until blended.
9. When brownies are done, allow them to cool and then spread the icing evenly over the top.